Top 3 Spring Commercial Roof Maintenance Tips Florida
Spring into Action by Protecting Your Commercial Roof with Preventive Maintenance before the Hurricane Season
It’s officially springtime in Florida which means Hurricane Season and the summer rains are just around the corner. With this in mind, we strongly recommend performing proactive maintenance and repairs on your commercial roof before a little problem becomes a big, costly issue.
Commercial roofs in Florida can age much faster than roofs in other locations in the United States because they are exposed to sub-tropical elements year-round. Under these conditions, multi-ply roofs can have a lifespan of 20-30 years while a single-ply system can last 15-25 years. This lifespan can be cut in half when a roof is not regularly maintained. Establishing a preventive roof maintenance program is essential to ensuring the longest service life of your roof. Many roof warranties are also void if annual maintenance is not conducted and documented.
See our spring roof maintenance tips below to help ensure your roof does not leak this summer.
Top 3 Spring Roof Maintenance Tips
1. Schedule an inspection: The National Roofing Contractors Association recommends inspecting a commercial roof at least twice a year as well as following severe storms. A roofing professional will look for signs of damage, including:
- Ceiling Stains
- Damage to fasteners and sealants
- Issues with the membranes like soft spots, bubbling, punctures or splits
- Damage to flashings including skylights, perimeters, walls, penetrations, HVAC equipment curbs, and drains
- Clogged drains and gutters
- Signs of mold and allege growth
- Security breaches and vandalism
2. Perform a roof moisture survey: A moisture survey measuring changes in roof materials when water is present should be conducted every five years. They can be taken in various ways including an infrared scan, which measures the amount of heat retained or lost through the insulation since wet insulation transmits heat better than dry.
3. Update and maintain roofing files: The most important tool a building owner can have to protect their commercial roofing asset is information. As the saying goes– knowledge is power! Knowing the current condition, warranty expiration details and when it was last worked on can help you to be proactive in managing your roofing system while ensuring it has a maximum service life. Be sure to keep up-to-date files on any installations, repairs, and changes made to your roof, along with warranties, plans, documentation of repairs, as well as samples of materials, to ensure your roof warranty remains intact.
To ensure total control of your roof system, one can use a roof asset management system like Advanced Access from Advanced Roofing Inc. The cloud-based roofing asset management portal gives building owners and property managers details about all of their roofs in one location. Whether in the office, at home or in the field, the information you need to manage your roof assets are always available on any internet-ready device.
Stop commercial roof leaks before they start
The only thing that can cause more stress than managing your roof’s maintenance is dealing with one that’s leaking. Advanced Roofing’s Preventive Roof Maintenance Program is designed to remove the stress from your hands by performing regular inspections to help prevent leaks or other problems before they can damage your business.
We have more than 9 million square feet of rooftop under our preventive maintenance program, with each system having its own unique issues, challenges, and requirements. With over three decades of experience and expertise providing leak repair and maintenance solutions for customers in Florida, you can trust that our team can help extend the life of your roof system, and help you avoid a disastrous leak or roof system failure.
Schedule your roof inspection today
Schedule your commercial roof inspection today so you can welcome the summer rain feeling much more confident that your roof is in good condition. As a bonus, you can avoid the summer rush of inspections and repairs.
Contact us today at 800-638-6869 or click here.