If this is a new responsibility for you, it can be a daunting task to tackle alone. This is why we have put together some key information on the things you really need to know about commercial roofing. Whether your roof is a top residential property or a commercial one, there are some similarities and some differences you need to be aware of when recruiting roofing contractor services.
Read on to find out more!
Residential Roofing Services
- First, let’s look at residential roofing. One of the main differences between residential and commercial roofing is in its design. For residential applications, the roofing is typically a smaller size and as such requires less support and industrial considerations.
- As such, when recruiting a contractor for residential roofing services it is important to check their specialisms and credentials before agreeing to collaborate. One who specializes in commercial roofing may not be as well versed in the intricacies of residential roofing. After all, certain aesthetic nuances make huge differences between a home and a place of business – you wouldn’t want to get those mixed up.
- As a general guideline, residential roofing services should command a smaller fee than commercial services, owing to the size and complexity of the structure. Don’t be afraid to shop around to find your perfect match!
Commercial Roofing Services
- Now, when it comes to commercial roofing, more often than not you are looking for function over form. That’s not to say there can’t be a middle ground, but for larger-scale facilities, you need something that suits your operational needs as a business.
- Commercial roofing may be subject to more scrutinous inspections on a more regular basis when compared to a residential roof. This is due to the legal stipulations put in place when there are personnel working under the roof, and potentially high-value products or inventory stored within. For this reason, regular inspection and top-level maintenance is one of the most common commercial roofing services.
- Additional features of a commercial roof include air conditioning and ventilation, both of which are less common in residential applications. The need for increased ventilation can impact the structure of the roof itself, meaning a more complex design, installation, and maintenance process.
Overview of Various Commercial Roofing Services
Services covered by roofing professionals may include:
Choosing the Right Commercial Contractor
Before making any commitments, it is important to ensure the contractor you are working with has all the necessary qualifications and certifications. It is not unheard of for contractors to lack the necessary credentials and this can lead to a nasty surprise or two down the line. Find someone certified and insured, and rest easy knowing you are in good hands.
Finally, we have pricing. Whilst it should never be the number one deciding factor, it is always a key part of the equation. We would recommend first shortlisting three to five contractors using the criteria above, then request quotes from each and make your final decision based on the financials.
Identify your requirements, research potential contractors, and evaluate all of your options before making a final decision. This will be one which stays with you for decades, so don’t rush it!
Most contractors will be willing to offer a free, no-obligation consultation, so reach out and discuss your needs. Don’t be afraid to ask!