Letter from the CEO Winter 2019
Advanced Roofing Winter Newsletter 2019
A letter from Advanced Roofing’s founder and President, Rob Kornahrens
Advanced Roofing, Inc. (ARI) wrapped up its 35th anniversary year firing on all cylinders. We enjoyed a great year of unprecedented growth and execution in all business units, completing more than 300 re-roofing projects, repairing 10,000+ leaks, installing 3 MW of solar energy, and raising over $46,000 for charity. And we ended the year on a high note, being recognized as the #14 largest commercial roofing company in the Nation from the Roofing Contractors Magazine. As we move into 2019 with tremendous momentum and a substantial backlog of re-roofing and solar projects to take us well into the new year, we invite you to take a look at some of our highlights from 2018.
Company Highlights in the 2nd Half of 2018
In 2018, we built on the hard work and success that has been our foundation for 35 years. As we look towards the future, we will continue to make investments in our company and people that include:
- New Service Building: ARI began construction on a 3,600-square-foot building as the new South Florida Service office. The team will look to move in this winter.
- Crane Purchase: Purchased a new 165-ton hydro crane to reduce the end cost to customers
- Electric Vehicle Purchase: Went off the grid with solar at our headquarters and added two more electric vehicles to our fleet, becoming one of the most environmentally-conscious companies in Florida.
- Apprenticeship Program Orlando: ARI started the ABC Roofing Apprenticeship Program five years ago as Florida’s first apprenticeship program for roofing. We recently expanded the program to Central Florida, shaping the way for the future roofing generation (read more…).
- Reduce Safety EMR: Our investment in safety is paying dividends. We’re proud to announce that our safety EMR is now a 0.58. The reduction in rate is essential, especially in a year where we brought on so many new employees. This goal was achieved through a comprehensive onboarding process and stellar safety managers, foremen, and a Safety Committee on the ground driving safety.
- Holiday Celebrations: ARI hosted its annual holiday party at America’s Got Soccer in Fort Lauderdale where employees and their families celebrated a year of hard work, recognized the “Best Crews of the Year,” and received new work boots, tool boxes, and water canteens.
Roofing Updates & Trends
Last year’s hurricane season brought two devastating storms near Florida: Hurricane Florence, which thankfully caused less destruction to North Carolina than anticipated, and Hurricane Michael, which sadly caused mass destruction to the Florida Panhandle. Our Tampa branch sent crews up to help with temporary roofing and repairs immediately following the storm. With the 2019 hurricane season just around the corner, we strongly recommend performing roof inspection and repairs now to fix issues before the heavy rains start in June.
When it comes to the economy, we see price increases across every major manufacturing line within the roofing business due to tariffs, specifically with steel and aluminum from foreign sources. However, materials are readily available, and the increases are not to the point where building owners are canceling projects.
In regards to product trends, we see increasing use of PVC roofing membranes for projects in 2019, signaling investment in high-quality roofing systems that require minimal maintenance.. PVC roof membranes provide a longer warranty where the cost of ownership is lower per year as compared to products like TPO. With this longevity comes the demand from consumers for roofing contractors who have been in business longer than the terms of their roof warranties. Less than 10% of roofing contractors in South Florida have been in business for 20 years, so ARI is proud of the trust and dependability we have built throughout our 35 years
Solar Updates & Trends
Solar has evolved from being good for the bottom line to being the right thing to do as we gain a deeper understanding of climate change and feel its impact on our daily lives. The difference in climate is helping to drive consumers’ buying patterns, as in the case of United Therapeutics. Advanced Roofing was chosen to install five solar carports for United Therapeutics at the Mayo Clinic East in Jacksonville, Florida (read more…). The new solar carports can provide up to 50% of the total energy needed to power the facility. As a bioengineering company working to save lives, their move toward becoming a zero-energy business is simple: “We have no business saving lives if we are killing the world.” We are proud to be a part of this.
As solar tax incentives begin to wind down in 2019 and beyond, we can see a negative financial impact on the industry as a whole, but the demand will continue. We see more roofing projects develop into joint solar and roofing projects now more than ever. By combining two projects into one, we can give our customers a discounted rate, making solar a substantial investment in the Sunshine State.
While technology in solar panels has stabilized, we see real innovation in racking design and how we build and engineer panels, driving cost and efficiency. Adaptation will also drive demand. Recent legislation requiring condominiums to give access to charging stations for electric vehicles is expanding the business beyond commercial carports. With ROI in the mid-teens, positive marketing opportunities, and helping fight climate change, solar isn’t just a feel-good story – it makes sense for business.
Awards an Recognition
- ARI earned the second place Low-Slope Project of the Year award from Sika Sarnafil for its re-roofing solutions at SeaCoast Towers Condominium in Miami Beach, Florida.
- ARI took home 3rd place honors in the Low Slope roofing category for its outstanding quality at the Aquazul Condominium in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and 2nd place honors in the Sustainability category for multiple solutions at the South Florida Regional Transportation Authority (SFRTA) headquarters and Tri-Rail station in Pompano Beach, Florida.
- Advanced Green Technologies ranks #1 Commercial EPC in Florida by Solar Power World Magazine with 10.7 MW installed; 49th overall out of 500 companies.
- ARI named “Best All Around” at the Winterfest Boat Parade for its “Animal House” boat theme.
Carlisle Roofing Top 10 Contractor
Advanced in the Community
Advanced Roofing was built on a foundation of giving back. In 2018, ARI raised more than $45,000 for the American Heart Association (AHA) through the Broward Heart Walk, chaired by President & CEO Rob Kornahrens, who matched employees’ fundraising with a $25,000 donation from The Kornahrens Foundation. It was also our 15th year riding in the National MS Society “Bike MS,” where we helped to raise over $24,000; $590,000 to date. We continue to work with Sonrise Mission faith-based organization and donated a service crew to help dry in a new roof for Sheridan House Family Ministries.
A few of our employees went over the top for charity. Advanced Roofing Service Managers Francisco Guzman and Glen “HAWK” Huber repelled off the AutoNation building in downtown Fort Lauderdale to help raise money and awareness for the Gilda’s Club of South Florida and families impacted by cancer. Way to go, Francisco and Glen!
I anticipate another strong year working alongside our talented team. As re-roofing and solar projects are in high-demand for 2019, we have a substantial backlog going into the New Year. We will continue to grow our business with a focus on operations and recruitment while maintaining our commitment to quality and helping the communities in which we do business.
As we embark on a busy and exciting year ahead, I am immensely proud of the work we do and the people we do it with. We’ll keep you updated throughout the year as our story continues to unfold. Follow us on social media for weekly updates and behind the scenes photos of our roofing and solar projects through Florida.
You may also like
IntroductionRunning a business in Florida comes with significant challenges, especially protecting the physical infrastructure of the facility from the area's unpredictable weather conditions. That's why having a reliable commercial roofing contractor is crucial to...
Emergency Roofing Solutions for Florida Businesses: Finding a Reliable Commercial Roof Repair Contractor
IntroductionFinding a Reliable Commercial Roof Repair ContractorFlorida's weather conditions are unpredictable, representing a great challenge for companies, mainly when roofing emergencies occur. For this reason, being prepared to deal with unexpected roof problems...
IntroductionBest Practices for Commercial Roof Repair in FloridaDo you want to optimize the durability of your roof? If so, you should know that it is not enough to use high-quality materials during installation; there is much more to take care of. The roof is a...